Provincial Federal Governments Invest 279million in ValleyArea Highway Projects

first_imgNova Scotia drivers will soon benefit from improved highways thanks to a $2.79-million joint investment by the provincial and federal governments. Vicki Conrad, ministerial assistant, on behalf of Bill Estabrooks, Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal, and MP Greg Kerr, on behalf of federal Transport and Infrastructure Minister John Baird, announced the funding today, Feb. 19, for the two highway improvement projects. “With today’s announcement, every dollar under the infrastructure stimulus program has been committed to roads and other important infrastructure projects,” said Ms. Conrad. “Together with our provincial contributions, these investments are delivering much needed infrastructure improvements across Nova Scotia.” “Through Canada’s Economic Action Plan, the government of Canada is working to ensure that the province of Nova Scotia emerges strong from this period of economic recovery,” said Mr. Kerr. “As we enter the second phase of this plan, government will continue the rapid implementation of the plan and roll out the remaining stimulus projects across the country. At the same time, we are building a strong foundation for job creation and economic growth in the future.” The projects will include construction of a left-turning lane and 2.3 kilometres repaving on Route 303, from Highway 101 at Exit 26, north to the Digby town line, and repair and repaving on Highway 101 from the Annapolis-Digby County line to the west end of Victoria Bridge at Smith’s Cove. These upgrades and rehabilitation projects will improve safety, security and travel times for Nova Scotia drivers. Nova Scotia is contributing $1.39 million to the projects, with Canada matching the contribution. Federal financial support comes from the $4-billion, Infrastructure Stimulus Fund, which provides funding to provincial, territorial, municipal and community construction-ready infrastructure projects that can be completed by March 31, 2011.last_img read more

Read More »

Woman jumps in front of train ends life

first_imgKolkata: A 55-year-old woman committed suicide by jumping in front of a moving train here on Monday.The train was going to Howrah from Balurghat and the incident took place when it was passing through Kamarpukur in Gangarampur. The woman, identified as Sharbani Haldar, took the extreme step after she had a quarrel with her daughter. She was a resident of Shanti Colony in Gangarampur. Police rushed to the spot and sent the body for autopsy to Balurghat hospital. A probe has been initiated. Also Read – City bids adieu to Goddess DurgaThe police said the woman’s husband worked as a labourer. A few years ago, their daughter married a local youth. A substantial amount of dowry was claimed by the in-laws of her daughter. She allegedly demanded money whenever she visited her parents. The family had been suffering from acute financial crisis. On Monday, the woman committed suicide after she had a fight with her daughter over money matters. There was a huge traffic congestion following the incident. Normalcy was restored after the body was removed from the railway track. Sub-divisional police officer of Gangarampur Bipul Banerjee said: “The woman jumped before the moving the train. We have recovered the body and sent for autopsy.”last_img read more

Read More »

Haiti Senior UN official urges donor community to ramp up efforts to

“Haiti is not receiving the attention of the international community, particularly the donor community,” Pedro Medrano told the UN News Centre, as he reported on a recent trip during which he met with officials in Canada, the United Kingdom, Belgium, France, Germany, Spain and the Netherlands.“It is clear that this epidemic is not on their radar screen,” added Mr. Medrano, who is the Secretary-General’s Senior Coordinator for the Cholera Response in Haiti.The cholera outbreak which has affected Haiti since October 2010 is still considered the largest in the Western Hemisphere, with more than 700,000 cases and over 8,500 deaths. Mr. Medrano travelled to the donor countries to try and raise their understanding of what the UN is attempting to do to eliminate cholera in Haiti. “I think that it is clear that any country with the number of people suffering last year – 65,000 new cases, and we have more than 700,000 cases in total – would consider this an emergency,” he added.Since the beginning of the epidemic, the UN has initiated a system-wide effort to support the Government of Haiti in the fight against what the Senior Coordinator referred to as “a silent emergency.” In December 2012, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon launched an initiative for the elimination of cholera in Haiti and the Dominican Republic that focuses on prevention, treatment and education. The UN has worked with partners in the community and international groups to launch a series of actions, including establishing/upgrading cholera treatment facilities, constructing waste water treatment plants, purchasing oral cholera vaccines, and supporting community-based hygiene campaigns. As the Special Representative of the Secretary-General in Haiti, Sandra Honoré, indicated in her recent briefing to the Security Council, “Delivering and sustaining better health requires an urgent, scaled-up effort to combat the disease and address decades of under-investment in basic systems for safe water, hygiene, sanitation and healthcare.”According to Mr. Medrano, less than 17 per cent of the population has access to sanitation while about half of the population has access to safe drinking water. “It’s impossible to stop the transmission of cholera and other water-borne diseases without urgent interventions in water and sanitation,” he stressed. This has prompted him to call for a Marshall Plan for the Caribbean nation. The UN system in Haiti has developed a two-year, $68 million initiative in support of the Government’ s 10-year National Plan for the Elimination of Cholera. In addition, the UN and the Haitian Government are finalizing the creation of a high-level committee that will oversee the coordinated implementation of the cholera response measures as contained in the National Plan.Haiti’s Ministry of Health has a plan, with the Pan-American Health Organization (PAHO), to vaccinate 200,000 people in the next couple of months and another 300,000 before the end of the year. The issue of money along with the availability of vaccines is a major challenge. The global stockpile is not sufficient to meet the needs of 500,000 people, Mr. Medrano noted. Countries have indicated they will consider allocations to this programme in the near future. As Mr. Medrano indicated, resources are extremely important not only for medical treatment but also for water and sanitation: “We can’t wait 5, 10 years until we have everything.”Mr. Medrano went on to say, “There is no doubt that we have made substantial progress. Today, we have fewer cases of cholera than we had in previous years. The figures from January and February 2014 show that there were 1,400 new cases – the lowest number of new cases since the epidemic began.”The Senior Coordinator was quick to note that there was no room for complacency. “Even if we are making progress, and we have a lower number of cases today, we are not out of the woods.” read more

Read More »