Al Jazeera transmission restored

first_img October 27, 2020 Find out more News Photo Credit: Revolt Asmarino via Compfight cc Organisation February 18, 2013 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Al Jazeera transmission restored EritreaAfrica EritreaAfrica RSF_en —–05.02.2013 – Government blocks access to Al Jazeera inside EritreaReporters Without Borders deplores the Eritrean government’s censorship of the Qatari TV news network Al Jazeera since 1 February.According to the Qatar-based newspaper Al-Sharq, the Eritrean authorities were annoyed with Al Jazeera for carrying reports about demonstrations by Eritrean exiles outside Eritrean diplomatic missions in Cairo, London, Frankfurt, Rome, Stockholm and other capitals in opposition to the government and in support of the soldiers who stormed the information ministry in Asmara during a brief mutiny on 21 January. The information ministry issued a decree on 1 February forbidding anyone in Eritrea to provide access to Al Jazeera. Public places such as restaurants, cafés and hotels were specifically targeted. To ensure compliance, Al Jazeera’s English-language channels were jammed.“In a country with no privately-owned media and where national news broadcast in the local language is strictly controlled by the government, the foreign media are only ‘tolerated’ and it is clear that the line that cannot be crossed is coverage of Eritrean news,” Reporters Without Borders said.Amanuel Ghirmai, a journalist with the Paris-based independent Eritrean radio station Radio Erena, told Reporters Without Borders: “This blocking reflects the determination manifested by the Eritrean government in recent months to prevent foreign media carrying reports about Eritrea from broadcasting inside the country.” Ghirmai added: “After Radio Erena, Al Jazeera is the second broadcaster to be subjected to such censorship.”Launched in 2009 by Eritrean exile journalists and supported by Reporters Without Borders, Radio Erena has been the target of jamming and cyber-attacks by President Issaias Afeworki’s government since August 2012.Reporters Without Borders has filed a complaint with the French public prosecutor’s officer requesting an investigation into these acts of piracy against an independent radio station. All the information about Eritrea and Radio Erena.Eritrea was cut off from the world when the regime took an ultra-authoritarian turn and rounded up journalists in September 2001. It is now Africa’s biggest prison for media personnel and is ranked last in the world press freedom index that Reporters Without Borders published on 30 January. RSF urges Swedish judicial authorities to reverse Dawit Isaak decision Qatar-based Al-Jazeera’s news channels were available again through all outlets in Eritrea by 12 February, 11 days after access was blocked on the government’s orders.Transmission via the big dishes used by hotels, cafés and restaurants and in other public places was restored very soon after the original blocking order but access through the smaller domestic dishes was only restored on 12 February. Newscenter_img to go further Receive email alerts April 14, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information Follow the news on Eritrea News January 13, 2021 Find out more Prisoner of Conscience Since 2001 – Why has Sweden not managed to bring Dawit Isaak home? Reports Swedish prosecutors again refuse to investigate Dawit Isaak caselast_img read more

Read More »

Limerick’s LaCucina is best in Ireland – again

first_imgTwitter FOR the second year running, Limerick and LaCucina have the best casual dining restaurant in Ireland. The duo behind the ever popular Castletroy based eatery, Lorraine Fanneran and Bruno Coppola, beat of some very stiff competition to take the crown at the gala awards night last week in Dublin.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up The best of the best from the Irish world of food and wine were out in force and the six week judging process ended with the Limerick couple taking to the stage and with it the retention of the Irish title they won in 2010. “We just can’t believe it, this is amazing and we are over the moon. We just do pizza and pasta from our little place and we have won this brilliant title again,” were the words of Lorraine, the social media engine and front of house to the restaurant, while Bruno, chef and kitchen maestro, said that “it’s just brilliant to see the places that we have been up against and the fact we came out on top is a huge huge reward for all our efforts”. The subtle yet slick Italian themed eatery, often frequented by faces young and old including many players from both Munster and Ireland rugby teams, took the best casual Dining award over the eateries such as Farmgate, Cork; L’Olliver, Kildare and Mishi Sushi in Dublin. WhatsApp Advertisement Previous articleJudge Tom’s new chapter beginsNext articleStrong line up for Doonbeg Festival admin Facebookcenter_img Linkedin NewsLimerick’s LaCucina is best in Ireland – againBy admin – May 31, 2011 959 Email Printlast_img read more

Read More »