TV reporter gunned down in Balochistan, sixth journalist slain this year

first_img Organisation May 31, 2012 – Updated on January 20, 2016 TV reporter gunned down in Balochistan, sixth journalist slain this year January 28, 2021 Find out more April 21, 2021 Find out more RSF_en Pakistani journalist critical of the military wounded by gunfire Receive email alerts PakistanAsia – Pacific Help by sharing this information News PakistanAsia – Pacific Pakistan is ranked 151st out of 179 countries in the 2011-2012 Reporters Without Borders press freedom index, while Balochistan was classified as one of the world’s 10 most dangerous places for journalists by Reporters Without Borders last year. June 2, 2021 Find out more News Pakistani TV anchor censored after denouncing violence against journalists Pakistani supreme court acquits main suspect in Daniel Pearl murder Reporters Without Borders is alarmed by the rate at which journalists are being killed in Pakistan and offers its condolences to the family and colleagues of the latest victim, Vsh TV reporter Abdul Qadir Hajizai, who was gunned down in the southwestern province of Balochistan on 28 May. He was the sixth journalist to be murdered this year in Pakistan.“Journalists have been killed in connection with their work at a rate of more than one a month since the start of 2012,” Reporters Without Borders said. “The authorities cannot continue to turn a blind eye to this.“Effective measures to protect media personnel must be adopted as a matter of urgency. At the same time, the investigations into the murders of Hajizai and the previous victims must not be abandoned. The cycle of impunity must be ended as soon as possible.”Hajizai was shot by two men on a motorcycle as he was returning to his home in Basima, in Washuk District (about 200 km southwest of the provincial capital of Quetta). He rushed to a nearby hospital, where he died of his injuries. He had worked for Vsh TV, a privately-owned Balochi-language station, for the past two years.His murder was claimed the next day by the Baloch Liberation Front (BLF), an armed separatist group. The Daily Jang quoted a BLF spokesman as saying Hajizai was killed because he was a “government informer.” Vsh TV director Ovais Iqbal Baluch told Reporters Without Borders he was unaware of Hajizai receiving any threats prior to his murder.In a separate development on 28 May in Turbat, in the far south of the province, gunmen opened fire on the home of Turbat Press Club president Arshad Akhtar, causing no injuries. The shooting came just 10 days after the abduction and murder of Turbat Press Club secretary Abdul Razaq Gul, whose body was found on the morning of 19 May.The Pakistan Federal Union of Journalists (PFUJ) organized a demonstration outside the Quetta Press Club yesterday in protest against the latest violence against journalists, while the Balochistan Union of Journalists (BUJ) called on the provincial government to take concrete measures to protect media personnel. to go further News Follow the news on Pakistan Newslast_img read more

Read More »

Meeting to discuss Castleconnell flooding to be held by end of…

first_imgLinkedin Print Advertisement University Hospital Limerick denies claim it ignored request by sister hospital over transfer of flu patients Previous articleFinance Minister to address Brexit at major public meetingNext articleMulti car collision on M7 outside Limerick claims one life Editor Twitter Long overdue work at Janesboro church Facebook RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR NewsCommunityEnvironmentMeeting to discuss Castleconnell flooding to be held by end of monthBy Editor – March 1, 2017 1045 center_img Limerick Senator encouraging Limerick groups to apply for new €30m fund WhatsApp Email €8 million M20 tendering process gets underway Irish Cement should not be allowed compromise public health TAGSCastleconnell VillageMontpelierSenator Kieran O’Donnell Living City review to focus on poor response in Georgian Limerick Senator Kieran O’DonnellFlood relief plans for Castleconnell Village and Montpelier will be discussed before the end of March at a public consultation organised by The Office of Public Works (OPW).The consultation will take place in Castleconnell Village, with the venue likely to be the Castle Oaks Hotel, which was the location for the previous public consultation on 1st September last.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Discussing this announcement, Limerick Senator, Kieran O’Donnell said, “At the public consultation on 1st September last we were shocked to found no flood relief plans were provided for in respect of either Castleconnell Village or Montpelier.“I am now glad to report that the OPW Minister Canney and the OPW itself have confirmed to me that flood relief plans are now prepared for Castleconnell Village and Montpelier.“Furthermore, I have secured a commitment that these flood plans will be available for Public Consultation with local residents within the next few weeks. Arrangements are currently being finalised for a specific date, with the venue more than likely being the Castle Oaks hotel.“I would encourage all residents in the Castleconnell and Montpelier areas to attend and have their say. Over 100 people attended the previous Public Consultation on and this shows how important it is to everyone in the area.“Castleconnell Village and Montpelier were both flooded on the last two occasions and the fact that the original draft flood relief report did not include any measures for either location was crazy. This is now being rectified.”“Once the date and venue are fully finalised and confirmed for the Public Consultation, it will be advertised locally and I will also inform local residents,” Senator O’Donnell concluded.last_img read more

Read More »