IITKGP researchers develop tech for solid waste management

first_imgKolkata: A research team at IIT Kharagpur has developed a technology which can generate energy from solid waste with high moisture content. The new technology – Hydro Thermal Carbonization (HTC) – can convert municipal solid waste to biofuel, soil amendment and absorbents, the premier institute said in a statement. Lead researcher Brajesh Kumar Dubey said the key to the success of the technology in Indian conditions lies in designing proper industrial scale reactor with improved heat integration system. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari Puja “The moisture in the waste is used to the advantage of the process which uses water for the reaction. The biofuel generated as the recovered output can help curb air pollution,” Dubey explained. The technology can be used by the civic bodies to effectively manage solid waste, he maintained. Once the organic waste is entered into the process, the “outputs generated are all usable”, Sagarika Panigrahi, another member of the research team, said. “All outputs can be used for one purpose or the other, including the water which can be converted to biogas or methane,” she added.last_img read more

Read More »

2 months after truck drivers electrocution officials of electricity board booked

first_imgGhaziabad: Two months after the death of a 37-year-old truck driver who died of electrocution after he accidentally came into contact with a live electricity wire in Sihani gate police station area of Ghaziabad, police have booked officials of electricity board in connection with the incident.As per the complaint filed by deceased’s brother Ranjeet Singh, a commando with Indian army, the incident took place on July 2 around 10 pm when truck driver Baljeet Singh, a native of Shikarpur area in Bulandshahr, had taken a halt during his journey for urinal in front of Nainital bank near Ghaziabad bus stand. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murder”My brother Baljeet had to cross the road for urinal and while going he accidentally came into contact with a naked wire coming out of an electricity pole. A passerby informed police and he was taken to Santosh hospital where doctors declared him brought dead,” Ranjeet Singh said. “Upon reaching the spot, we found a sheer negligence from the electricity department behind the death of my brother. We demanded a probe into the matter but we have to struggle to get our complaint lodged which was done after senior police officials intervened,” added Singh. Also Read – Two brothers held for snatchingsMeanwhile, police officials said that a case has been lodged into the matter and investigations are underway. “Based on the complaint received, an FIR under section 304-A (causing death due to negligence) of Indian Penal Code (IPC) has been registered against unnamed officials of electricity board. An investigation has been launched into the case and actions will be taken soon,” said Umesh Bahadur Singh, Station House Officer of Sihani Gate police station. The deceased is survived by his wife and two kids, a 6 years old daughter and a one month old boy.last_img read more

Read More »