Man City cruise past 10-man Fulham in FA Cup

first_imgRelatedPosts Gundogan tests positive for coronavirus Solskjaer criticises England over handling of youngster Greenwood Aguero could be out of action until November, Guardiola says Holders Manchester City cruised into the FA Cup fifth round with a 4-0 thrashing of 10-man Fulham at the Etihad on Sunday. Tim Ream’s sixth-minute red card gave the Championship side a mountain to climb after he hauled down Gabriel Jesus inside the box. Ilkay Gundogan converted the resulting penalty before Bernardo Silva’s smart turn and shot quickly doubled City’s advantage. The visitors then held out for nearly an hour but two headers in three minutes from Jesus gave the scoreline a more accurate reflection of the English champions’ dominance. Pep Guardiola’s men have now won 17 domestic cup ties in a row. The Catalan is relying on more cup success for silverware this season after conceding the Premier League title is beyond his side with Liverpool 16 points clear at the top of the table. Guardiola made eight changes to the team that won 1-0 at Sheffield United in midweek, but still named a strong side with both David and Bernardo Silva and Gundogan among those coming into the team. Fulham boss Scott Parker also rotated with his priority securing a return to the Premier League at the first time of asking. Any hope of an upset was quashed within minutes by a rash challenge from Ream. City have had problems from the spot this season with Guardiola even claiming goalkeeper Ederson is his best taker after Jesus’ latest miss at Bramall Lane on Tuesday. However, with the Brazilian on the bench with Claudio Bravo keeping his starting spot in goal for the cups, it was Gundogan who took responsibility to dispatch the spot-kick. A moment of magic from Bernardo then gave the hosts breathing space as the Portuguese international fired into the bottom corner from outside the box. Only a lack of killer instinct prevented City from further running up the score as Raheem Sterling came off the bench to hit the crossbar. Jesus, though, bagged a confidence-boosting double by heading home Joao Cancelo’s cross before nodding in the rebound after Marek Rodak had saved Phil Foden’s initial effort.Tags: EtihadFA CupGabriel JesusIlkay GundoganManchester CityPhil Fodenlast_img read more

Read More »

Herrera happy to stay in Bilbao

first_img Press Association David Moyes’ side were still being linked with Herrera right up until the close of the transfer window but no move was forthcoming. Speaking at a press conference on Wednesday, Herrera insisted he had not had talks with United, but admitted the English side might have struggled to turn his head anyway. He said: “Obviously when United make an offer for you it’s very flattering and I’m very grateful, but I’m very happy with Athletic. “I didn’t pass a medical as has been said. Athletic have made things clear in an honest way from the start. “In the first place the club have to pay the clause, which is 36 million euros for me, and then attract me more than Athletic do, which is very difficult. “It’s totally false that an agreement was reached with me. To talk with me they would’ve had to pay the clause.” Asked if he felt let down at all by United, Herrera said: “Not at all. How am I going to feel mistreated when a club of the level of United make a formal offer? “I’m grateful for that and also because Athletic have not wanted to negotiate, as that shows how they value their players. Herrera broke his silence on Wednesday over the transfer saga which saw United’s late bid to sign the 24-year-old before the transfer window closed end in failure and a degree of farce on Monday night. United saw an initial offer for Herrera rejected by Athletic last week with the Basque club’s president Josu Urrutia insisting they would not negotiate for their players and that if the Red Devils wanted their man they would have to pay the release clause in his contract of around £30.75million. Ander Herrera is flattered by the interest shown in him by Manchester United but admits it would have been difficult for the Barclays Premier League champions to have enticed him away from Athletic Bilbao had negotiations over a proposed move got that far. “It makes me proud that one of the leading clubs in the world are interested in me. “It shows that I’m doing things well.” The farce of the proposed transfer came on Monday night when reports emerged that three people said to be representing the Red Devils had turned up at the Spanish league headquarters, seemingly to meet the clause in the former Real Zaragoza player’s contract. The trio left an hour later, apparently unable to complete the paperwork required to finalise the deal. However, it then transpired that United, who dealt directly with Athletic, knew nothing of the trio’s existence. When asked about that, Herrera said: “They were nothing to do with me, you’ll have to ask them. They don’t represent me nor do I know who they are.” Herrera, who insists he has been calm and relaxed since the events of Monday night, also feels he has conducted himself correctly throughout the matter. He said: “My behaviour has been good, I’ve never pressured the club and I’ve not asked to go. I’m very relaxed with the way I’ve done things. And the club have been faithful and honest with what they’ve transmitted. “I was staying quiet because it wasn’t planned for me to go out at a press conference and because there was an important game against Real Madrid (on Sunday). I like to show my face, not talk through Twitter.” Looking to the future, which on Wednesday saw Athletic players train for the first time at the new San Mames stadium, Herrera said: “I started the season with Athletic and I’m thinking of finishing it with them. We have a marvellous stadium which is going to be full. I’m in a special place. “I’m going to continue showing the performances with Athletic that I have done since the first day I arrived. “Two years ago I played in two finals (Europa League and Copa del Rey). There’s nothing nicer than this. I hope that with the effort that the club have made we can be regular participants in European competition and we don’t have to be jealous of anybody.” last_img read more

Read More »

Add turnovers to Clippers’ problems during exhibition season

first_img Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error With his team just 1-4 and struggling, Paul voiced concern that there is not much time left for his team to iron out its problems. Including Tuesday’s, there are just three exhibition games left before the season begins Oct. 30 at home against Oklahoma City. “These last few games, we have to start getting ready,” Paul said. “I don’t think we’re one of those teams that can just switch it on for opening night. So, we’ve got to be ready.”Injury reportTwo Clippers did not play Saturday because of injuries. Chris Douglas-Roberts, who is vying for the starting spot at small forward, sat out with a sprained ankle. Glen “Big Baby” Davis missed his second consecutive game with a right groin strain.Perhaps most worrisome is Jordan Farmar’s back, which has been acting up. He played just seven minutes Saturday.“I’ve been feeling it for a couple of weeks now,” Farmar said. “I’ve just been staying on top of it, and today it just flared up on me. It’s a little tweak in my lower back. I’ll be all right.”Farmar was queried as to a timetable for his return. He didn’t have anything concrete in that regard.“I think I’ll be OK,” he said. “The training staff is awesome, they’re on top of it. They work really hard trying to keep everything ready to go for the season, so that’s what we’re shooting for.”Rivers said on Friday that he wasn’t sure how long it will take Davis to get back. He said while Davis may be healthy by the time the season starts, he wasn’t sure if he would be in game shape.This and thatAfter opening their exhibition season with a 112-94 victory over the Clippers, the Warriors defeated the Lakers twice in succession and then beat Denver. However, Golden State has lost two in a row — to Miami and Houston. … Clippers small forward Matt Barnes has made just 2 of 24 shots so far. … Tuesday’s game, which is slated for a 7:30 start, will be televised by TNT. It can be heard on KFWB (980 AM). The Clippers have had trouble in several areas during what so far has been a rather unsatisfying exhibition season.They haven’t defended well, they haven’t shot well, they haven’t rebounded well. In addition, they are turning the ball over too much.The Clippers this past season averaged 13.3 turnovers per game, tied with Portland for sixth-lowest in the NBA. In five exhibition games this season, they are averaging 15.8 turnovers.Only Philadelphia (16.4) averaged more than that in 2013-14. What is perhaps worse is that in two of the five games, the Clippers had just nine and eight turnovers, respectively. In the other three, they had 23, 20 and 19.center_img “It’s hard to win games when you turn the ball over,” coach Doc Rivers said Saturday night after his team followed Friday’s 101-97 victory over Utah with a 104-93 loss to Denver at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. “We’re not shooting the ball well right now, either. As bad as the defense looked, which I thought wasn’t that bad in the first half, I just thought that right now because of our lack of offense, it’s taking our energy.”The Clippers have shot 40.7, 43.6, 42, 44.6 and 37 percent in their five games.Blake Griffin, Jamal Crawford — who had a rare start — and Matt Barnes had three turnovers apiece Saturday. Point guard Chris Paul had two.“Turnovers were bad,” said Paul, whose team will try for just its second exhibition victory Tuesday night when it plays at Golden State (4-2). “It was like that (Friday) night, too. Sometimes we were trying to make the home-run pass, so Coach was saying that we’ve just got to try and keep it simple.”Paul a bit concernedlast_img read more

Read More »

HUGE CROWDS EXPECTED AT FUNERAL OF FARMER KILLED BY BULL

first_imgThe funeral takes place today of tragic Inishowen farmer Patrick Dowds.Mr Dowds, 65, was killed by a bull at his farm in Burt on Wednesday.Among the chief mourners at his funeral mass at St Aengus’ Church in Burt will be his twin brother George. George was also struck by the same bull but was helped out of the field at Toulette, close to Grianan of Aileach.Hundreds of mourners are expected to turn up from across Donegal for the funeral of a man who was dedicated to farming and who loved fun.The bull has since been destroyed and a full investigation has been launched into the death.HUGE CROWDS EXPECTED AT FUNERAL OF FARMER KILLED BY BULL was last modified: September 19th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:bullfuneralPatrick Dowdslast_img read more

Read More »