Chile Seeks Planned Withdrawal of Its Troops in Haiti

first_img Chile wants to begin a “gradual and proportionate” withdrawal of the troops participating in the United Nations Stabilization Mission in Haiti (MINUSTAH), starting in 2012 and lasting until 2016, Defense Minister Andrés Allamand said. “The idea is to establish a timeline for the Chilean military presence in Haiti. Along those lines, the plan that we’ve developed (…) is that next year, we should move forward on a gradual and proportionate withdrawal of our troops” in Haiti, Allamand said, when submitting his ministry’s annual report. According to the Minister, “if the current situation in Haiti is maintained, there will have been ten years of democratic normality by that date, and the second orderly transfer of power from one democratic administration to another will have taken place.” Chile has contributed troops to the United Nations peace mission in Haiti since 2004, alongside Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Ecuador, Guatemala, Paraguay, Peru, and Uruguay, and it maintains a contingent of around 500 military and police personnel in that country. In August, during a visit to Chile, Haitian President Michel Martelly expressed his desire that MINUSTAH become a “development” mission. Today, MINUSTAH has around 12,000 personnel, including 8,900 soldiers and 3,300 police officers, and is commanded by former Chilean Foreign Minister Mariano Fernández. MINUSTAH was created by the UN to replace the multinational force of 3,600 – composed chiefly of U.S. and French personnel – that arrived in Haiti in February 2004 seeking to reestablish security and facilitate the distribution of humanitarian aid following the departure of former president Jean-Bertrand Aristide. By Dialogo December 22, 2011last_img read more

Read More »

Thousands marvel at ‘Lights of Bago’

first_imgNegros Occidental is reported to haveone of the highest cases in the country, and Bago ranks second in the province,he noted. He addedthat aside from putting Bago on the tourism map, the “Lights of Bago” alsosymbolizes hope for a brighter year awaiting every Bagonhon. BACOLOD City – Intermittent rainsfailed to dampen the sky over Bago City, Negros Occidental on New Year’seve.  Over 35,000 revelers gathered atthe Manuel Y. Torres Memorial Sports Complex to witness the 12th edition of the“Lights of Bago.”  “Bago City’s fireworks display was ameaningful one. There seems to be an alarming trend of the disease affectingour youth so an increased awareness is needed,” Yulo added. Yulo thecity government has thought of using the popularity of the annual event forthis cause as he expressed optimism that the musical fireworks show will conveythe message to the audience. Mayor Nicholas Yulo said the 26-minutefireworks show highlighted the need for awareness on human immunodeficiencyvirus and acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (HIV/AIDS). This year’s latest edition was themed“A Rhapsody of Colors and Diversity,” featuring nine greatest hits of Britishrock band Queen during the fireworks display./PNlast_img read more

Read More »

Andy Ruiz Jr plans Kownacki, Arreola fight

first_imgRelatedPosts Joshua: Why I visited Nigeria as non-champion Joshua resumes training for Pulev WBA Champion Charr to hold Ruiz Jr talks Andy Ruiz Jr is set for a summer return to the ring and will face either Adam Kownacki or Chris Arreola, according to reports. The 30-year-old Mexican-American scored a shock seventh-round knockout victory over Anthony Joshua in June to claim the WBA, IBF and WBO heavyweight championships. His reign was short-lived though, with Joshua besting him on points in an immediate rematch in December. But by his own admission, Ruiz was underprepared for the fight, failed to train properly and came in at his highest weight in a decade at 283.5 pounds. Last week Ruiz said he was ready to fight Tyson Fury after the Gypsy King claimed the WBC heavyweight title with victory over Deontay Wilder late last month. But according to The Athletic, it is Kownacki and Arreola who are in the frame for Ruiz’s planned August return. The 30-year-old Kownacki 20-0 (15) is expected to keep his undefeated record intact when he clashes with Finland’s Robert Helenius 29-3 (18) at Barclays Center in Brooklyn on Saturday night. Arreola 38-6-1 (33), who is about to turn 39, engaged in an entertaining back-and-forth brawl with Kownacki back in August. The veteran has not been in action since. Ruiz 33-2 (22) will be preparing for his comeback with a new trainer after parting ways with Manny Robles following his defeat to Joshua. “Andy was just doing whatever the hell he wanted to do. The dad, obviously with him being the manager, he just had no control over his son. None of us had control of him, for that matter,” Robles said in January. “So I just saw it coming, it wasn’t going to work because he wasn’t listening. He’s not listening to me, he’s not listening to his dad, he’s not listening to anybody. He said it himself after the press conference. “Fortunately for me, Andy took the blame on himself and didn’t sit there like a majority of fighters and blame the coach.”— Tags: Adam KownackiAndy Ruiz JrChris Arreolalast_img read more

Read More »