Los Angeles Lakers enter 2014-15 season with health concerns

first_img“You just got to read each situation, read each situation as it comes, each game is going to be different,” Bryant said. “I’m sure there will be games where I have to do more and games where I have to do less.”Bryant stressed more about the Lakers’ defense, which ranked 27th out of 30 NBA teams in points allowed (104.2 points). But in the last two preseason games, the Lakers held teams to an average of 89 points.“I’m very happy with the way the preseason went because I thought each game we got better,” Scott said. “We’re understanding what we need to do and we’ll keep working at it.” The Lakers fielded eight players that missed a combined 34 preseason games, sparking back memories of last season’s nightmare that entailed 12 players sitting out for a combined 319 contests because of injuries. In related news, the Lakers finished with a 27-55 record that marked their worst season in L.A. franchise history. The Lakers declared 40-year-old point guard Steve Nash out for the season after having prolonged pain in his back that kept limited him only to a combined 65 games the past two years. Nick Young (right thumb), Xavier Henry (right knee) and Ryan Kelly (right hamstring) sat for all of the preseason. The Lakers are also evaluating injuries to veteran point guard Ronnie Price (right knee) and training camp invitee Wayne Ellington (concussion) that happened in the preseason finale against Sacramento on Friday in Las Vegas. The injuries could complicate how the Lakers manage their roster, which was dwindled to 15 on Saturday after waiving training camp invitees Jabari Brown and Roscoe Smith. The Lakers may keep Ellington since he would receive a full salary if he were cut while being injured. Price also will likely stay, especially with Nash’s absence. But the Lakers would need to create a roster vacancy should they use the disabled players exception, which would allow them either to sign a free agent or trade for a player for $4.85 million.At least nothing has happened to Bryant, who played in only six games last season because of injuries to his left Achilles tendon and left knee. He averaged 19 points on 38.47 percent shooting and four assists in 26.7 minutes.How much of the workload will Bryant have to carry? Through eight exhibition games and four starting lineup combinations, a few themes regarding the Lakers’ 2014 preseason emerged.Kobe Bryant looked sharp with both his health and post play. Most of the Lakers’ remaining roster struggled staying healthy. Rookie Julius Randle appeared promising. Guard Jeremy Lin seemed exciting. Uncertainty persists on whether the “steady improvement” Coach Byron Scott noted the Lakers made on defense will become a trend.So with the Lakers ending a 3-5 exhibition season, what marks the primary concern heading into their season opener on Tuesday against the Houston Rockets at Staples Center?“Injuries, that’s the main concern,” Scott said. “Hopefully most of our guys are healthy by Tuesday.” center_img Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorlast_img read more

Read More »

GARDAI FIND FRAGMENTS OF CAR IN SEARCH FOR HIT-AND-RUN DRIVER

first_imgUPDATED: Gardai have discovered debris from a car which they believe was involved in a hit-and-run incident which left a man dead outside Bundoran.The man, who is in his 40s, was found at the side of a road around 5am this morning.The man had been struck by a vehicle which failed to stop at the scene. Fragments from a car were found at the scene and are now being analysed by Gardai who have launched an investigation into the death.Head of the Donegal Traffic Corps, Inspector Michael Harrison, appealed to the driver to come forward.“We appreciate people involved in an accident might panic and drive off.“But we would appeal to them to come forward and talk to us. “We need to find out exactly what happened,” he said.The victim, who is understood to be from Liverpool but was living in Leitrim.The man had been socialising in Bundoran but decided to walk home the 5kms to his home.He is believed to have been 2kms from his home when he was struck at Ardfaran, Bundoran.Gardai say only people with local knowledge would normally use the road and have appealed for witnesses to come forward. It is understood the man phoned his wife as he walked home and she came to collect him moments after he was struck by a car.The road at the centre of the incident has been reopened and a post mortem is taking place on the man’s body at Sligo General Hospital.GARDAI FIND FRAGMENTS OF CAR IN SEARCH FOR HIT-AND-RUN DRIVER was last modified: August 26th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:bundorancardebrisinvestigationleitrimlast_img read more

Read More »