Austin suspect not sorry for bombings reports on confession video say

first_imgShare on WhatsApp This article is more than 1 year old Tom Dart in Houston Since you’re here… Texas Austin suspect not sorry for bombings, reports on ‘confession’ video say Topics Last modified on Fri 23 Mar 2018 10.59 EDT Austin Share on LinkedIn @Tom_Dart Share via Email Share on Twitter This article is more than 1 year old Share via Email Read more Share on Facebook Share on Messenger Conditt described himself as a “psychopath” who had been disturbed since childhood, the newspaper added, and pledged that if he thought police were about to catch him he would kill himself with a bomb in a crowded McDonald’s restaurant.Police have said that the 25-minute recording provides no indication of Conditt’s motive or why he chose his targets. The Statesman also reported on Thursday that an unexploded package bomb intercepted at a FedEx facility on Tuesday was addressed to a woman who works at a spa in downtown Austin – but neither she nor her colleagues knew Conditt.Investigators say the 23-year-old Conditt blew himself up before dawn Wednesday as a Swat team closed in on him. They say Conditt is responsible for a series of bombs that killed two people and seriously wounded four others since 2 March but that his motives remain unknown. The Associated Press contributed to this report Austin bomb suspect left video ‘confession’ before he died Shares5252 Share on Twitter Mark Conditt threatened to blow himself up in McDonald’s and said ‘I wish I were sorry but I’m not’, according to reported police sources Support The Guardian US crime news The Austin bombing suspect threatened to blow himself up in a McDonald’s and was unrepentant over the fatal attacks that terrorised the Texan capital, according to reports of a video “confession” obtained by police.“I wish I were sorry but I am not,” Mark Conditt said, according to the Austin American-Statesman, citing law enforcement sources briefed on the contents of the cellphone recording made hours before his death. Reuse this content Thu 22 Mar 2018 19.07 EDT Police investigate the Austin bombing suspect’s home on 21 March.Photograph: Stephen Spillman/EPA … we have a small favour to ask. The Guardian will engage with the most critical issues of our time – from the escalating climate catastrophe to widespread inequality to the influence of big tech on our lives. At a time when factual information is a necessity, we believe that each of us, around the world, deserves access to accurate reporting with integrity at its heart.More people are reading and supporting The Guardian’s independent, investigative journalism than ever before. And unlike many news organisations, we have chosen an approach that allows us to keep our journalism accessible to all, regardless of where they live or what they can afford. But we need your ongoing support to keep working as we do.Our editorial independence means we set our own agenda and voice our own opinions. Guardian journalism is free from commercial and political bias and not influenced by billionaire owners or shareholders. This means we can give a voice to those less heard, explore where others turn away, and rigorously challenge those in power.We need your support to keep delivering quality journalism, to maintain our openness and to protect our precious independence. Every reader contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support The Guardian from as little as $1 – and it only takes a minute. Thank you. US policing Austin Share on Pinterest Share on Facebooklast_img